Sunday, July 18, 2010

growing up

congratulations to me for my first non-whiny bout with the flu. in the past, when I was down with the flu or asthma or the colds, I would spiral into a web of self-pity, and the more I told myself that I felt crappy, the crappier it felt, and the more difficult it was for me to heal.

but this time, perhaps because I'm living on my own, or probably because I've grown a little, I didn't have that whiny bit. yeah, it's a crappy feeling, so what are you going to do now? no one's going to take care of you, no one's there to absorb your whiny cries for help. fever's up? that's good, I told myself, the body's naturally trying to restore its balance. I told my body, "ok, you know what to do, I'll try to get out of your way so we can heal more quickly." so I cooked a pot of chicken soup, gave myself some fruit shock therapy (big bowl of fruits plus several glasses of orange juice), bundled up in my sheets, put a damp towel on my forehead, and got plenty of sleep and rest. when the fever went up to about 38.7, I thought, ok, time for some tylenol. within hours, I was feeling much better.

and today, because the fever's gone, I decided to go for a walk and go for some grocery shopping (for more fruits, some chicken soup and more meds). that's probably one of the best prescriptions, go out for a walk in the park, stop for a few seconds and bathe in the sunshine, listen to the birds, commune with the trees... that silent space really does a lot of good, flu or no flu.

it feels good to be evolving. after all, we can't all stay in the same place forever.

and wherever we're at, it's still really all good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home